Sunday, February 24, 2013
The Woodbridge mayor will be at Avenel and Iselin firehouses today. Stop by if you want to have a chat.
Do you have a complaint about something going on in town? Do you need help with an issue and you can't get it resolved? Today's your chance to meet with Mayor John McCormac, make your voice heard, and get a continental breakfast. This is the second in a series of free breakfasts the mayor and other council members have been holding in Woodbridge township firehouses and first aid squad buildings. Today's schedule is as follows: Follow Woodbridge Patch on Facebook, Twitter and sign up for the daily newsletter.
Thursday, January 3, 2013
A trapped clothes dryer vent is suspected in the fire that burned from the basement to the roof of the house.
A fire that may have started from a blocked clothes dryer lint trap quickly tore through an Avenel home Wednesday afternoon. The quick-moving blaze at 650 East Woodbridge Avenue began in the basement, said Avenel Fire Official Cory Spillar and quickly burned through the upper stories of the house. About 2:21 pm, a 17-year-old resident noticed the smell of smoke in the home, Spillar said. The teenager tried to put the fire out after he smelled smoke, but to no avail. The fire quickly spread from the basement near the dryer exhaust to the roof in the back of the house. Neighbors heard explosions, which Spillar said was the fire igniting propane tanks from an outdoor barbeque. No one at the home was injured, but a firefighter who was …
Saturday, September 1, 2012
It wasn't a huge blaze, but apartment dwellers in the Avenel complex couldn't believe it was happening again.
Less than two months after a devastating fire destroyed several apartment buildings and made several hundred victims homeless, fire engines were again at Woodbridge Village apartments in Avenel late Friday afternoon. This time, the fire was confined to the kitchen in one of the apartments, while several other habitations nearby sustained smoke damage, said Woodbridge Police Lieut. Greg Conklin. There were no injuries, but the number of fire engines, police cars, and emergency vehicles on scene bespoke the urgency that a fire in that complex holds for EMS workers in Woodbridge after the devastation wrought by the July 10 blaze. Dozens of residents were out on the grounds, worriedly watching a ladder truck move into place to fight the fire…
Tuesday, July 31, 2012
Dagmara Wozniak competes for Olympic gold in Britain tomorrow - and the Avenel Fire Dept. is letting her know her hometown is cheering her on.
Her friends call her 'Daga,' but in Avenel, she's known as their great Olympic hopeful. Dagmara Wozniak, a 24-year-old blonde beauty and a world-class fencing expert, will be demonstrating her sport on the United States' fencing team in Britain Wednesday, August 1. Wozniak is also a resident of the Avenel section of Woodbridge. Her hometown is so proud of her, the Avenel Volunteer Fire Department put up a sign on their Route 1 marquee sign, wishing her luck. For her part, Dagmara was so delighted, she posted the picture of the Avenel Fire Dept. sign on her Facebook page. "Absolutely amazing!" Dagmara enthused about the sign. "I'm about to cry." And as her turn at the Olympics draws closer, the sabre fencing champ said she could hardly …
Wednesday, July 11, 2012
Officials spend the day after, searching the charred remains for fire's origins.
The fire still smolders on blocks of charred buildings at Woodbridge Village in Avenel. But amongst the wreckage stir detectives and fire officials, churning the ruins for clues to the cause. "We're conducting an investigation. We're still looking for some of the residents," said Avenel Fire Official Corey Spillar, sounding tired after a day and night of firefighting. No one was seriously injured in yesterday's fire that took out two enormous buildings in the Woodbrige Village complex. Spillar meant that he believes all the residents were safe; he couldn't get ahold of some of the Woodbridge Village residents because in the rush to avoid dying in a fire, they left their cell phones behind. That's why "we're having trouble contacting some …
Thursday, April 12, 2012
A blaze that made three condo units in a Madaline Drive building uninhabitable started from a discarded cigarette.
A discarded lit cigarette was the source of a fire that consumed several condo units in Avenel Tuesday and made three families homeless. Avenel Fire Official Cory Spillar said that the "male occupant" of 1505 Madaline Drive admitted he had been outside, smoking, on the second story wooden balcony of the condo unit, and that he had flicked the cigarette into the shared driveway the condo unit shares with another building. But he apparently didn't flick it far enough away from the building. "Due to the burn pattern and heavy charring on the deck, it was apparent it had been smoldering for some time," Spillar said. That matches what Felicia Kelly, the condo owner, said Tuesday. She had been working in her third floor home office when she …
Tuesday, April 10, 2012
There were no reported injuries in the smoky Avenel fire.
Fire companies from around Woodbridge responded to a smokey Avenel blaze this afternoon that was so intense, it melted the vinyl siding from a neighboring building. The condo, one of six dwellings in the same building at 1505 Madaline Drive, was called in at approximately 1:30 pm. The fire burned hot and fast, partially melting the vinyl siding on a similar structure across a shared driveway. There were no reported injuries in the blaze, which was largely extinguished by 4 pm, according to an Avenel firefighter. There was no word on the cause of the fire. Nearby, the condo owner, Felicia Kelly, stood with a cell phone to her ear and a look of shock on her face. "I can't believe it," Kelly said in the cell phone and to people nearby who …