For those that missed it, follow this link, http://woodbridge.patch.com/articles/meet-woodbridge-s-new-school-superintendent#comments_list to read an earlier Patch post on Dr. Zega’s upcoming Meet and Greet luncheon.
Since the luncheon is off campus (not at any school facilities) and is at noon, it seemed odd that the BOE would authorize a luncheon at that time and place.
Well, in fact, according to the response received from Woodbridge School District, which is shown below, the event is not a Board of Education authorized event. It appears Dr. Zega does not require BOE approval for such an event, even though it is during normal School District hours of operation.
Here is the reply I received:
WOODBRIDGE TOWNSHIP SCHOOL DISTRICT
P. O. Box 428, School Street DENNIS DEMARINO
Woodbridge, New Jersey 07095
BUSINESS ADMINISTRATOR/BOARD SECRETARY
Telephone: (732) 602-8536
Fax: (732) 855-0430
February 26, 2013
By E-Mail to:
Colonia, NJ 07067
Re: OPRA request #12-54
Dear Mr. Maras:
I have reviewed your request seeking documents from the Woodbridge Township Board of Education pursuant to the Open Public Records Act (OPRA) received via email on February 25, 2013.
Specifically, you have requested the following information:
- A copy of the BOE’s authorization for the expenditure of school district funds for the upcoming March 5, 2013, Meet & Greet Luncheon, with Dr. Zega, at the Metro Top Tower, located at 111 Wood Avenue South in Iselin.2
- Copy of the Woodbridge School District’s correspondence with BOE members regarding the aforementioned luncheon.
- Copy of the RFQ/Bid Request used to select the location and catering services for the luncheon.
- When received by the District, a copy of the invoice submitted by the entity or entities that supplied the facility for the luncheon and the catering of it.
1. – 4. The documentation you are seeking does not exist. This event is not a Board of Education authorized event.
There is an old saying that states: There is no such thing as a free lunch! So who is sponsoring the luncheon and why?