Maybe this is one way to get over any fears of "bugs."
The 7th annual Metuchen Junebug ArtFest kicks off on Friday evening from 6 to 10 p.m. with a line-up of interactive events, performances and art displays throughout downtown Metuchen in Middlesex County.
Each year, the Metuchen Area Chamber of Commerce and Metuchen Arts Council sponsor this celebration of the arts, evolving into a top-notch platform for visual and performing artists that draws hundreds of visitors every Friday night in June.
Event dates for 2014 are June 6th, 13th, 20th and 27th from 6 - 10 p.m. on Main Street.
The Junebug features local artists who showcase a wide spectrum of finished pieces, live performances as well as interactive activities that give visitors an opportunity to explore their artistic inclinations.
This year's Junebug will feature renowned painters, illustrators, glass work artists, photographers, jewelry makers, and nearly 100 other visual artists.
Jazz and rock performers will pave the way for live dance performances and open-mic sessions at various locations. Balloon-makers and chalk walks will be there, too.
In addition, organizers are expanding Junebug festivities to involve South Main Street locations and businesses.
Opening night will offer a range of cultural entertainment for visitors, including these activities:
- Clay Fun - Clay artist, Duffy Dillinger will help visitors get their hands into earthenware clay to make wind chimes, wall reliefs, etc. (6:00 - 8:00 pm @ The Forum Theater)
- Crazy Hat Creations - Custom sized, magical, mystery hats will be created with recyclable materials. Finished hats on top of artist's heads will parade down Main for the grand finale! (6:00 - 7:30 pm @ Borough Hall with Mickey Waring & Kathy Glazer)
- World Cup Celebration - Create a giant "World Cup" out of paper mâché to celebrate the greatest sporting event (6:30 - 8:30pm in front of Lollipop Land, South Main Street, opposite Forum Theatre with local artist and art instructor Ed Wetzel)
- Richard Reiter Drum Circle - Crowd favorite Richard Reiter will return for the third year in a row at the Metuchen Senior Center to help us kick off the festivities (7:30 - 8:30 pm)
- Zumba - Andrea Orlando will lead a popular group dance workout to the energetic beats of Latin American music (7:00 - 7:45 pm @ Borough Hall)
- Window Galleries: Hosted by downtown businesses, this window display series is a new way to "raise the bar" and showcase the work of established artists throughout the month of June. Get involved and vote for "Best Designed Window" and "People's Choice Award for Favorite Artist/Artwork"!
- Metuchen High School Music, Writing, Film Presentation 6:00 - 9:30 pm @ Old Franklin Schoolhouse
- Michael Glazier, Singer/Guitarist – Acoustic Pop/Rock (6:30 - 8:00 pm @ 2 Chicks with Chocolate)
- Metuchen High School Band (6:00 - 7:30 pm @ Main Stage)
- John Melendez Duo - Jazz (6:00 - 7:00 pm @ Hailey's Harp Irish Pub
- The Dork of Deception - Magic (7:00 - 8:00 pm @ What's the Scoop)
- Queen Bleu Nile and Euphrates – Contemporary Soul, Blues (8:00 – 9:30 pm @ Borough Hall)
- Katastrophy – Funk, Fusion, Rock, Pop (8:00 – 9:30 pm @ Main Stage Hall)
- Open Mic (6:00 – 10:00 pm @ Brewed Awakening)
Be on the lookout for our volunteer hosts in orange Junebug t-shirts who will be handing out event schedules throughout each night.
For more information about Junebug happenings, please visit www.junebugartfest.comand click on the buttons for "Artists" and "Events."